Tuesday, November 1, 2011

research, research, research

     Today I have spent most of my day scouring etsy for sizing and pricing info. Up until now I've only ever made clothes that fit Izzie, I take her measurements and figure out my pattern according to that. Maybe thats another downfall of being self taught (other then the length of time it takes to get a specific pattern right!) I'm not 100% sure about adjusting the sizes and I can't only offer size 5 clothes!! Not to mention the fact that Izzie has long legs and is petite at the same time so I don't even think I'm making a typical size 5. So I have been spending a lot of time researching sizing, on etsy, blogs, websites, and even sizing charts of some of my favorite stores. I think I have it figured out but I really wish I had some girls to try things on. Izzie's friends are her age-not much help.
     Next on the list was pricing. That took considerably less time though I was still amazed to see the difference in prices for the same pieces, even taking designer fabric into account, it still had no real rhyme or reason. I cross-referenced prices for certain pieces against seller ratings, number of sales and length of time in business. I think I have some numbers that will be acceptable as a new business that will offer quality pieces with a reasonable price.
     Now that I've spent my whole day on the computer all I want to do is sew, but I have 20 minutes until we leave to pick up Tre then I promised we would go to the library after school, then we need to start working on his animal diorama due next week and I'm sure he has homework. Dinner needs made, the house needs cleaned (the playroom is off the hook!) showers, reading then bedtime at 8. Maybe I'll get to sew after that...

No comments:

Post a Comment